4.02.2009

Kindergarten Round-Up

Today, we visited Hayley's soon-to-be-new Elementary school to register her for Kindergarten. I cannot believe that she is already to this point. It was surreal going into a public school and pretty much handing my daughter's life over to them! Ok, so not really, but you feel like it after all of the paperwork you fill out!

It was a neat experience, and one I will never forget. Just because it was a first. Hayley was excited as we were walking in, then became very bored, and a little overwhelmed. She decided to go to the car with Daddy, and on the way home even said "Take Hayley's name off of that paper and don't register me. I don't want to go to Kindergarten."

You have to think that not only is this a big step for us as parents, but a huge step for her as well. She was at one point counting down the days to Kindergarten, I think mostly in part that it just sounds so "BIG". But, now we are experiencing the anxiety. I am right there with her!

We have been in the safe confines of our MDO/preschool for our fifth school year now, whether it was 1, 2, 4 or 5 days that she attended. She knows all of the teachers, most of the kids, and the school backward and forward. She is comfortable. It is time to step out of that comfort zone come August and into the real world. I am already praying to God to give me the strength! It is a reality check ... we cannot protect our children forever. As parents, at some point, we have to loosen the reigns bit by bit. Why didn't anyone tell me that would be so hard to do?!!!!

No comments: